I used to think podcasts weren’t for me. I thought I didn’t have the time to listen to them. I also didn’t really understand how they worked.
But in the past year, I have become a prolific podcast listener, often spending hours a day listening to podcasts. This has totally revolutionised my personal and business life. Wow!
Now I’m on a bit of a mission to ensure that no entrepreneur gets left behind and at least gives podcasts a go… the power of podcasting should not be underestimated! Here’s why…
You DO Have Time
I used to think that I had no time to podcast. Fortunately, podcasting is the perfect multitasking tool. You can do it while you’re doing other tasks that don’t require your full attention. So even if your days are already full, I can almost guarantee that you can find an hour or so per day where podcasting would fit right in.
You Need to Learn
If you’re not moving forward, you’re going backwards. When it comes to your learning, this is so true. As an entrepreneur, you don’t have a choice here – learn or die. Podcasting is a fantastic way to ensure that you are continually learning, especially if you’re not into books and don’t have the time to go to in-person networking and educational events.
Get Back Wasted Minutes/Hours
When I’m doing unavoidable mundane tasks around the house or driving somewhere, it can feel like dead time, wasted, instead of spending that time working on my business. If I can podcast at the same time, it makes the time go faster AND provides me with a productive way to multitask and generate fresh ideas for my business and life.
Learn from the Best
Some of the smartest entrepreneurs of this generation appear regularly on podcasts and even host their own. You can get their wisdom and experience direct in your ear for FREE. So why wouldn’t you?
Improve Your Listening Skills
I’m not a naturally good listener – this is not a skill that comes easily to me. But I’ve noticed that since I’ve started listening to podcasts regularly, I’m becoming better at staying focused during conversations with clients, friends, and family members. I think that podcasting has helped me to practice focusing on listening to words as I hear them, blocking out distractions. Instead of listening to formulate a response, I am finding myself listening to comprehend. Perhaps it will do the same for you?
If you’re just getting started with podcasts, you might be a little unsure on how to listen to them (I certainly was). Here’s the steps you can take:
- Download the app (I use Pocket Casts on Android)
- Search for a podcast by title or topic
- Subscribe to your favourites
- Play/download and build your playlist (I like having a few episodes lined up so I can keep listening hands-free for an hour or more, especially when I’m busy driving, dealing with kiddos, working in the kitchen, or cleaning)
Finally, I’d love to share with you some of my absolute favourite marketing and business podcasts that I’ve been enjoying for the last year. These would be a fantastic starting point as you figure out the styles you prefer and refine your subscription list down the track.
- Smart Passive Income with Pat Flynn
- Online Marketing Made Easy with Amy Porterfield
- YouPreneur with Chris Ducker
- SEO Success Show with Kate Toon
- Hot Copy Podcast with Kate Toon & Belinda Weaver
- The Mumpreneur Show with Petra Jones
- Mums with Hustle Podcast with Tracey Harris
- The Lucky Bitch Podcast with Denise Duffield-Thomas
- She Means Business Podcast with Carrie Green
- Naptime Empires with Nikki Elledge Brown
- Freelance Transformation
- Ladyboss Chats with Katie Wyatt & Elle Roberts
- 2000 Books for Entrepreneurs with Mani
- The Know Like Trust Show with Britney Gardner
- Unforgettable with Adria DeCorte
Added bonus… my favourite parenting (totally non-business related) podcast is Unruffled by Janet Lansbury. So good!
Over to you… do you listen to podcasts? If so, I’d love to hear your recommendations, especially on anything business or personal development related. How has podcasting helped your business or everyday life?